Here's why we can't wait for that new Han Solo spinoff feature.
What do you think of when you hear “Han Solo” and “shooting?”
“Han shot first.” Of course.
Now, there’s a different meaning to the phrase. The Han Solo … solo movie is a go. The production got underway this week via the team behind “The LEGO Movie” – Phil Lord and Chris Miller.
UPDATE: The duo got canned mid-production, with Oscar winner Ron Howard taking over the project.
Alden Ehrenreich of “Hail, Caesar!” fame plays the swashbuckler first brought to life by Harrison Ford. Donald Glover takes Billy Dee Williams’ place as a young Lando Calrissian, and Woody Harrelson joins the “Star Wars” universe in a new role.
The father/son team of Jon and Lawrence Kasdan are handling the screenwriting chores.
It’s a great time to remember why we care about a Han Solo feature in the first place. Sure, he helped save the galaxy from Darth Vader’s vise-like grip. It’s also how he did it, with the kind of swagger that makes girls swoon and guys want to say lines just like him.
And speaking of lines … here are 11 Han Solo quotes that cemented his image as a space opera icon.
- “I know.” – You can’t start any Han Solo retrospective without including his very best two-word sentence. He told Princess Leia that when she confessed her feelings for him as he was about to be frozen in carbonite. How romantic! The line wasn’t in the working script, but Ford came up with it during the production.
- “Boring conversation anyway. Luke, we’re gonna have company!” – Han can’t bluff his way out of every jam. So he wrapped up this failed Death Star con with a bit of humor.
- “You like me because I’m a scoundrel. There aren’t enough scoundrels in your life.” – This is flirting, Han Solo style. It worked. Of course.
- “3PO. You tell that slimy piece of worm-ridden filth, he’ll get no such pleasure from us.” – Sure, Han and friends are about to be eaten by a monster with a lazy digestive system. He refused to show a flicker of fear to his old nemesis, Jabba the Hut.
- “Wonderful girl. Either I’m going to kill her or I’m beginning to like her.” – Ah, young love!
- “I think my eyes are getting better. Instead of a big dark blur, I see a big bright blur.” – Pure popcorn movie fun, delivered with panache as Han’s eyesight returns in the nick of time.
- “Listen, big deal. You got another problem. Women always figure out the truth. Always.” – Han Solo isn’t a kid anymore in “The Force Awakens.” He’s learned a thing or two about human relationships over the years.
- “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.” – It’s the Zen of Han Solo. And he couldn’t realize how wrong that wisdom would prove.
- “What good is a reward if you ain’t around to use it? Besides, attacking that battle station is not my idea of courage. It’s more like, suicide.” – He’s the ultimate reluctant hero. The line makes his eventual return (spoiler alert) even better.
- “No! Stop, Chewie, stop! Chewie! Chewie this won’t help me! Hey! Save your strength. There’ll be another time. The Princess. You have to take care of her. You hear me?” – The best heroes know when to fight and when to take a knee.
- “I used to wonder about that myself. Thought it was a bunch of mumbo-jumbo. A magical power holding together good and evil, the dark side and the light. Crazy thing is… it’s true. The Force. The Jedi… All of it… It’s all true.” – An older, wiser Han speaks the truth to the “Star Wars” franchise’s new kids on the block, Finn and Ren. And it’s chilling because we know he’s right.