Why do too many comedians self-censor in our woke age?
It’s simple. All it takes is one routine to put your career in jeopardy. Or worse.
Jocelyn Chia marks a new Cancel Culture low, but the brave comic may have the last laugh.
The “trouble” began when the Asian comic referenced the historical split between Singapore and Malaysia at New York’s Comedy Cellar club in April.
Imagine if Malaysia tried to reunite with its neighbor, comparing the situation to ex-lovers attempting to reconcile. Malaysia hasn’t visited in a while because “my airplanes cannot fly,” adding “What, Malaysia Airlines going missing not funny?”
“Some jokes don’t land.”
The bit, which drew laughter at the time, indirectly referenced Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 which disappeared in 2014 with 239 passengers aboard.
Chia, who grew up in Singapore, recalled the extreme fallout from the joke after it hit social media via Newsweek. The Comedy Cellar took down the video in question, the first of many ramifications for a single routine that killed on stage.
- Hackers tried to take down Chia’s social media accounts and exposed her personal information
- Singapore’s Foreign Minister apologized to Malaysia for the routine
- Critics review-bombed her at “every venue I had ever worked” and bullied them into blocking her from future appearances
- IBM canceled her broadcast series done for its American and European offices, a gig she had held for two years.
- A New York comedy club canceled her upcoming gig
- Harassers coaxed Instagram to take down her account while TikTok removed the video in question
- The Malaysian police allegedly called for her arrest, asking Interpol for help on that front
Chia describes herself as left-leaning in the following video clip that mocks the extreme Left and Right.
Chia never apologized.
She rallied her resources, poked fun at her plight on social media and learned that many people (like rebel comic Chrissie Mayr) will rally to your side if you show strength against the woke mob.
Was on @abcnews Australia discussing the Malaysian blowback to my joke!
Full video for anyone interested:https://t.co/UGLlNXqY7x
— Jocelyn Chia (@JocelynChia) June 22, 2023
In short, she stood tall when others with far more fame and fortune (like Stephen King and Scarlett Johansson) bowed to the woke mob.
What I do know, is that I took a stand for something bigger than me, and others rose to stand with me. And finally, what I do know, is that I am no longer in this fight alone.